Thursday, September 01, 2005

Mr. Scott goes to Washington - Act One, Scene One: Enter three roommates...

As I'm writing on this, my first morning here in D.C. (you'll have to excuse me, but I'm going to refer to my apartment in Alexandria, VA as part of D.C. to avoid confusion and make it easier for me to write), it's a beautiful, sunny day. But I'm hardly here to discuss the weather; I'm going to regale you with my arrival and first day in the States.

My flight in yesterday was spectacular. As we came in from the North along the Potomac River, the plane banked around to turn towards the airport and from my seat I could see the entire National Mall, from the Lincoln Monument past the Washington Monument to the Capitol Building. It was awesome, and excitement about actually being in Washington quickly replaced the feelings of nervousness I'd experienced previously.

I hopped a cab from the airport to my apartment building, where I arrived around 2 pm, and met the first of my three roommates. A second roommate arrived a few hours later. They're both from New England and know each other from the University of New Hampshire. In fact, one's from Massachusetts, and I can't stop laughing every time he says something is "wicked bad."

The three of us set off to explore Alexandria and we walked around for about an hour. After that, we returned and went to our large building meeting where I ran into Kristina Athanapapadapadapalapalous (I'm not sure exactly, but its starts with 'A' and she's Greek) from Queen's, and had my emotionally charged reunion with Claire. All told, I think there are about 60+ interns living in this apartment complex.

After that we went grocery shopping at Pentagon City, which seems to be a giant mall and power centre about three metro stops north of here. When we returned from grocery shopping, we met our third roommate, who had arrived late. He's from Puerto Rico, which should be interesting.

Claire then came up to my room to hang out and catch up for a bit before bed, and she had to use my computer since the internet's not working in her room. Wow, I was planning on keeping this pretty brief, but it seems to have become long-winded and mundane.

So I suppose I'll stop for the moment. Today, Claire and I are going to go downtown on a dry-run of our commute to the Embassy, and we might swing by one of the Smithsonians if we have time.

-----

One thing I wanted to comment on: While grocery shopping, it was like I was in an entirely different and futuristic wonderworld. They have food stuffs and candy bars and varieties of pop ("soda") I've never even heard of. I felt like such a tourist, going ooooh and ahhhh at everything. For example, I had a Cherry-Vanilla Dr. Pepper! It wasn't very good, but still...

Also, some of you may be shocked to learn that All-Bran bars in the States are not the flat, wide, dry, solid products that I force myself to eat in Canada. Instead, they're like granola bars with all-bran cereal mixed in, and are soft and chewy. Also, they don't taste like crap. AND they have more fibre than their Canadian counterparts.

Frankly, I have no idea why they would sell such inferior bran products in Canada. Moreover, I have no idea why anyone would take the time to manufacture two different All-Bran bars.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Scott,

What a simply lovely little recap of your day's events! You are taking a page from the Lindsay Mains book - detail, detail and more detail!

I am also impressed to hear how closely you observe how Bran changes as you cross the border! Perhaps you shall have to stock up before returning to the country. I think you would humour the Customs people by declaring all bran...

Anyhow, for (once), I don't have much to say - Yaay for Washington! Keep up the good work with the Blog updates :)

Best of luck! We shall miss youuuuu.

-Linds

11:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home